Monday, August 19, 2013

Packing and Parties

This past month's theme in the Stover house has been: packing.  Every few days we drive to Bloomington with another car load full of stuff, to store at Brandon's parent's house.  They are being generous enough to allow us to leave all of our things there for the year, rather than paying for a storage unit.  I find it ironic that for the past five years Brandon has been trying to get all of his stuff out of his parent's house and now we are just taking it right back!

I have also been planning on what items to bring with me to London.  I am trying to limit myself to one checked bag and one carry-on size suitcase.  I have a plan for clothes, hoping I can fit them all in my suitcase, based on this website: http://www.academichic.com/2009/05/27/how-to-pack-for-a-research-year-abroad/  I am trying to base my wardrobe on her great suggestions, but I probably still have too many items picked out.  Check out later in the month for my final packing list and pictures of what I end up taking.

In the midst of all this packing, I get to celebrate the upcoming marriage of my closest friend Kathryn.  This weekend we had a great time at her bachelorette party, keeping it real classy by painting pottery and tasting wines at August Hill in Utica.  Thanks to the generosity of a couple from our church we were able to stay in a really beautiful cabin for the night.  We then hiked the Matthiessen State Park trails in the morning.  It was a wonderful way to celebrate with friends and the blushing bride-to-be!
Painting Pottery
Wine Tasting with the Bride-to-Be

Hiking in the Morning

2 comments:

  1. It is pretty ironic....about the moving stuff out/into Brandon's parent's house.

    I ended up taking 2 checked bags and paying the extra bag and an overweight fee. It was taken out of my relocation package, but I thnk it was worth it, because, honestly, now that I'm here and unpacked...I feel like I'm just missing so many things/clothes. I can't imagine if I had packed lighter.

    Good look to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What instruments did you end up taking? Looks like Brandon will be bringing his alto and tenor saxophone and I will have my oboe.

      Delete