Friday, November 22, 2013

Academics

So, Barb Miller (the secretary at St. Matthews...) mentioned recently on facebook: "Are you sure you are studying enough? You look like you are having way too much fun!!"  So to answer Barb's question, I thought I'd write a post about the classes we are taking and let her know that, "yes, we are studying enough!"  :)

So here is my weekly class schedule -

Monday: Cultural Policy and Practice, lunch break, Intro to Arts Marketing
Tuesday: Guest lectures (from arts adminstrators in and around London), lunch break, Intro to Fundraising, Chamber Orchestra
Wednesday: More guest lectures, lunch break, Goldsmiths Sinfonia orchestra
Thursday: Contemporary Ethnomusicology
Friday:  No Class!

My classes are currently focusing on UK and European cultural policy (how the government influences and funds arts organizations), how to build and market to an audience within the cultural sector and how to fund-raise for arts organizations.  I have heard lectures from arts administrators who work in dance venues, performing arts venues, visual arts galleries, outreach and education programs focused on arts, etc.  I have also visited several arts organizations in London to see how they are run.  The music course that I chose for this term is 'contemporary ethnomuisology' where we look at current issues regarding the field, such as globalization, gender, race, identity, etc.  We compare how these issues affect musical consumption and participation (are you bored yet...???).

I have also started working on my end of term papers for my current class load.  I have two 5,000 word essays due mid-January, but they are both on interesting topics (at least I think so!).

For my cultural policy classes I am writing a paper about the public value of the arts and how that relates to the accessibility of different art forms.  For ethnomusicology, I am writing about how music is used to manipulate consumers while shopping in public areas.  So here is a stack of books that I will be diving into the next two months in order to complete these essays....


Arts accessibility books on the bottom, with music & manipulation books on the top

Brandon's class schedule is a bit lighter...
Monday: No Class
Tuesday: Ethnographic Film & Music Research, lunch break, Sound Agendas
Wednesday: Goldsmiths Chamber Choir
Thursday: Contemporary Ethnomusicology (yes we are taking that class together!)
Friday: Goldsmiths Big Band (but they seem to cancel rehearsal alot...)

He is studying about various types of music and cultures.  In his film class he is learning how to make an ethnographic film, basically a documentary on a musical subject.  In sound agendas he is looking at different aspects of sound and how it affects people psychologically.  And I mentioned a bit about ethnomusicology already...

He also has two papers due in January, one on the cognitive neuroscience of music and audio illusions and the other on how western music uses and adapts the music of the "Other".  He has also started researching for his final thesis paper due in August, and he will be studying Japanese immigrant music in the UK.  Here is his massive stack of books...at one point he actually hit the limit of the amount of books you are allowed to take out of the library (15 at one time), so he better get to reading!

Music and the mind, lots of ethno books, etc.



So hopefully I have enlightened you about our studies here in London.  No, it is not all fun and games, we are getting a master's degree.  But between the lectures and papers we are enjoying all the fine things London has to offer and making the most of our time here.  (I can't believe we are almost 1/3 of the way done already!)

Well, better get back to studying!  (or napping)
Emily (& Brandon :))

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I just want to meet you guys for a pint and geek out about musicy things....and Emily,I want to learn all about your arts marketing stuff! If I ever changed jobs, that's totally what I'd do!

    ReplyDelete