Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Farewell to Princeton

Yesterday Brandon and I, along with the help of his parents, loaded up our belongings on a trailer and moved out of our house in Princeton.  So, I feel that it is necessary to say a few thank yous to the people and places that made my four years (five years for Brandon) in Princeton special.

To the people and youth of St. Matthews: This church has been so wonderful to us since we moved to Princeton!  They allowed us to live in the parish house and helped us "get on our feet" as a young married couple.  As the music director, I made some people uncomfortable with my "contemporary" songs and choices, but they embraced the change and allowed me to experiment and learn.  The adult choir put up with my crazy warmups and the bell choir was patient and willing as we learned from scratch!  There were also those outside the music groups that supported us and encouraged us and made us feel like family.  I can't thank this church enough for the love and support it has offered us and you will all be dearly missed.

To the teachers, students and parents of Princeton Elementary: I have learned so much these past four years about teaching, working with young people, interacting with parents and just overall being an adult with a real job!  You have all helped me grow as a person and a teacher and I thank you for being patient when I made mistakes, as well as celebrating with me when things went well!  Thank you especially to the administration who supported the music program in every way, even as the music programs in communities around us dwindled away.  I hope that you all have a great school year and I hope to one day come back and continue to work in Princeton community.

Even though I do not know what the future holds, if we will come back to Princeton, or end up in a new city, we are thankful for the experiences and people we met in Princeton.  Even though it is a small town, it is full of life and promise.  The arts and performing scene is alive with Festival 56, the Prairie Arts Center and the Community band and choir.  I know Brandon and I have so much more to offer in this town if our path brings us back.  But for now we will say goodbye to Princeton and look forward to our new life in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment