Friday, September 6, 2013

Packing List for a Year Abroad

Tomorrow we leave Illinois and head to Boston, MA for a few days to see our friends before making the long plane ride over the pond.  So here is a post regarding my packing list for our year abroad.

While this post may only be interesting to a few people, I thought it would be fun to show you what clothes I have decided to bring with me on my year long trip to London.  I got most of my inspiration from this website, http://www.academichic.com/2009/05/27 but I have tailored it to fit my style and needs.  I have also been doing research on "Capsule Wardrobes" and how to mix and match few items into many outfits.  I love this website as well, as she has great ideas on mixing and matching clothing items: www.puttingmetogether.com

I am still bringing more clothes than I probably should, but I have also managed to fit it all into one large suitcase and one carry on size.  We were originally going to ship our heavy winter coats and other items, but since Brandon has decided not to take his tenor saxophone we are able to bring one more checked suitcase to carry those items.

So here is the packing list of my clothing items...it does not contain things like PJs, underwear and basic tank tops...but it is pretty complete besides that!

Jackets:
A grey blazer and jean jacket.  Not pictured...rain coat, North Face jacket and blue wool pea coat.

Casual tops:

Maroon tee shirt, purple long sleeve top, black tee shirt, navy striped long sleeve tee and grey long sleeve tee.

"Smart Casual" tops:
Orange floral top, purple and yellow top, various black patterned tops, blue color block tank, navy striped tank, purple long sleeve tee, navy floral top and lace sweater

Sweaters and Cardigans: I am bringing a lot of these, since they can be layered and will be the majority of what I wear through the chilly months in London.
Grey cardi, striped cardi, yellow cardi, green cardi, pink cardi, white cardi, tan cardi, green sweater, maroon sweater, camel sweater, black/blue colorblock cardi, and grey/black colorblock cardi.

Button down tops: can be layered with tee shirts and sweaters for multiple looks.
White, green, brown striped, black and chambray.

Pants: 
Camel trousers, black corduroy skinnies, burgundy skinny jeans, two pairs dark jeans, jean capris, khaki ankle pants, black ankle pants, teal ankle pants, navy shorts and black shorts.

Skirts:
Grey midi skirt, black patterned skirt and purple knee-length.  All three of these look great with thick tights and boots to wear in the fall and spring months.

Dresses: since the picture was taken I have decided to take out the white and purple patterned dress, since it is not as versatile through the seasons.
Black dress, navy dress, lace dress.

Scarves: every website I read about capsule wardrobes says "invest in scarves," because they can instantly update and change your outfit, so I have recently purchased several.  There are even a few more that have been purchased since, that are not pictured.
Also not pictures is my jewelry and other accessories (like belts).  I recently received some neat jewelry pieces when my grandmother passed away, that I hope to incorporate into my looks as well.

Shoes: I have since decided to leave the navy vans at home, since I have multiple other pairs that will work in their place.
Black boots, tan wedges, nude pumps, tan flats, tennis shoes, grey "toms" (actually from Gordmans,) grey vans, black flip flops and black wedges.  I am hoping to purchase a pair of taller boots when we arrive in London to wear through the winter.

Here is my large suitcase packed full with clothes and supplies.  My carry on will hold my oboe, and a weeks worth of clothes, just in case the big one gets delayed!

Wow! That seems like a lot of clothes, but trust me, it is only a portion of my wardrobe and took some careful consideration on my part on what to cut and what to bring.  I was mostly focused on what can mix and match with other pieces and what can be worn through many seasons.  

I will also be taking a backpack with my laptop, iPad, purse and a few books.

Things I am NOT taking with me and will be purchasing when we arrive: hair dryer, hair straightener and curler, shampoo, conditioner and other toiletries, (except a small 3ounce bottle of each to get me through the first week or so,) towels, bed sheets, pillow.  

I hope you enjoyed seeing my packing list! I will have to take some outfit pictures while I am there to show off what I have learned about mixing and matching!!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is 29 inches long. I actually have a lot more room available in the bag, but I had to stop packing it due to the airline restrictions of 50lbs per bag.

      Delete
  2. I would have said buy scarves there.....when I was there, there were a lot of very beautiful scarfs for not that expensive....and then they count as a practical souvenir. You were much more organized about the packing than I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also suggest buying scarves there, but they are also easy to pack and send home if you need more space in the suitcase at the end of the trip :) I'm glad you packed gym shoes - I made the mistake of tossing my gym shoes the first week I was in France and then could NOT find a replacement pair! In France people don't use gym shoes for actual running, so they have zero comfort. Maybe England is different. New Look is a store you might find there that is pretty cheap and has a student discount card! :) Can't wait to hear you have made it safely!

    ReplyDelete